Click here to use the Cooley GO Docs Articles of Association Generator.
Note that this document is intended only for UK companies.
Essentially the Articles are the key ‘constitutional’ document that sets out the rules for running the company. The articles are generally split into five key areas:
- articles relating to the directors’ powers and appointment;
- articles relating to the shares of the company, including the ability to transfer shares to another person;
- articles relating to decision making by shareholders;
- how the articles should be interpreted; and
- administrative matters relating to the company e.g. the contact details for the company should the shareholders need to send documents to the directors.
Along with the shareholders agreement (for more information on what this is, see our Guide to Shareholders Agreements and click here generate your own Shareholders Agreement), the Articles govern the relationship between each of the shareholders and the shareholders and the company.